Recovery Superstars

Feed your brain: Micronutrients

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

A great way to add veggies and micronutrients to your diet is green smoothies.  It’s hard for me to get enough veggies in everyday.  Green smoothies are a great short cut.

My favorite is to take 4-5 leaves of green leaf or red leaf lettuce, and put it in the blender with 1/2 – 1 banana and fill the rest with water.  Blend and drink!

This green smoothie has several servings of veggies, great source of fiber since you’re not throwing away the pulp like with a juicer.

Judy
      Participant

I’m having a devil of a time finding a multi-vitamin that meets your standards. Would you recommend one please?

sure thing, check out the store tab above and I put a few in there.

Nutrient 950 by Pure Encapsulations is a great foundation. It is a high potency multivitamin and multimineral.  It has an activated B complex built in along with calcium, magnesium, and a small amount of iron, copper and iodine.

If you are male, take Nutrient 950 with NAC instead (no iron).

So you can pick one of those (take half the caps in the AM and half in the PM) and then all you need to add is omega 3’s (Omegagenics in Healthwave), probiotics (Therabiotic Complete), and if you aren’t eating enough protein, free form amino acids, acetyl L carnitine and phos choline.

Also check out the Brain Recovery AM and PM from Dr Cass (Store tab above)

In a recent web conference, we were discussing sauerkraut.  Here’s a simple recipe from Cultures for Health that I have made.  I have one of their fermented vegetable containers but started out using just a mason jar  and a cloth on top.  I like the airlock because the CO2 can escape but oxygen can’t get in.

Re: how long to leave it out for?  I’ve left it out for as little as 3 days but the longer you leave it the more it will ferment.  30 days is a good goal, after that transfer to the fridge.

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/sauerkraut

How to Make Sauerkraut

Basic sauerkraut may be one of the most popular ferments, and it is such an easy recipe that it works great for beginners. Give it a try, you’ll never be sorry!

Ingredients:

• 1 medium head of cabbage
      • 1-3 tablespoons sea salt 

Instructions:

1. Chop or shred cabbage. Sprinkle with salt.
      2. Knead the cabbage with clean hands, or pound with a potato masher or Cabbage Crusher about 10 minutes, until there is enough liquid to cover. 
      3. Stuff the cabbage into a quart jar, pressing the cabbage underneath the liquid. If necessary, add a bit of water to completely cover cabbage.
      4. Cover the jar with a tight lid, airlock lid, or coffee filter secured with a rubber band.
      5. Culture at room temperature (60-70°F is preferred) until desired flavor and texture are achieved. If using a tight lid, burp daily to release excess pressure.
      6. Once the sauerkraut is finished, put a tight lid on the jar and move to cold storage. The sauerkraut’s flavor will continue to develop as it ages.

Makes approximately 1 quart.

Optional Ingredients:

Prior to culturing, mix 1 part shredded carrots, apple, or other vegetable to 5 parts cabbage, for a more complex flavor. Add caraway seeds, if desired.

Here’s one more blog about fermenting:

The 3 Biggest Fermenting Mistakes You’re Already Making

Jennifer
      Participant

I’m not sure what constitutes a “serving” of veggies. Could you clarify that?

Also, is a free form amino acid supplement the same as what you get in Total Amino Solution?

Judy
      Participant

Thanks for the recipe. I’ve been buying the Bubbies brand of fermented sauerkraut and eat 2 oz. everyday with my lunch as part of my vegetable portion. I’ve read you need as little as 1 tablespoon. What did you learn in your web conference a good daily serving would be?

Judy
      Participant

I also have a question about multi vitamins and iron. It’s my understanding that post menopausal women shouldn’t have iron. Should I get the men’s formula then?

Jen, great question!  A serving of veggies is 1 cup raw or 1/2 cup cooked.  It isn’t much so the good news is if you have a big salad that could easily be 3-4 servings.

Yes, free form amino acid is what’s in Total Amino Solution.

Judy, Bubbies is great.  When buying pickles or sauerkraut from the store, check the label.  If it just has the vegetable name and salt (and maybe a few spices) that’s a fermented product that has the good bacteria (probiotics) in it.  If it’s says vinegar, it’s pickled and not fermented (no probiotics).  Most of the refrigerated ones will be fermented.

The recommended amount varies depending on your individual situation.  If you have a healthy gut a smaller amount every day may be sufficient.  If you have GI issues, then work your way up to a higher amount.  If you take too much you *may* notice more gas and bloating (only my sensitive GI patients notice this).  If so, back off on quantity.

The goal is to make the foods part of your regular routine like you are.

Something is better than nothing, with 100 trillion bacteria in our guts, there’s plenty of room.  I could see eating up to 1 cup / day.  Only caveat is if you have high blood pressure, you may need to eat less bc of the salt content.

Judy-  yes, women after menopause don’t need extra iron.  You can get the Nutrient 950 with NAC (no iron).

I added Women’s Nutrients by Pure Encapsulations too.  This one has some other extra anti oxidants which is good.  but not as much B6 (pyridoxal 5 phosphate) and only vit E 100 IU (400 IU is better).  Otherwise, I like the Women’s Nutrients.

There’s a Men’s Nutrients that’s similar to the Women’s in that it’s also has a lower amount of B6 and and Vit E.  I won’t add it because then there are too many choices and it gets confusing.

I still like the Nutrient 950 with and with Iron the best for a comprehensive vitamin.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.