Recovery Superstars

How Your Brain Works

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

What are your thoughts are reading this first Core Knowledge lesson?

Jennifer
      Participant

Hi Dr Alex,

Does this approach to brain chemistry health address imbalances of other neurotransmitters as well – such as dopamine?

Thanks Jennifer, Yes! Dopamine converts to Epinephrine and Norepinephrine.  We’ll spend a week on Epinephrine specifically in Module/Week 4.  This is a big one, especially because addictive drugs from nicotine and alcohol to heroin and cocaine activate the reward system via dopamine.  It’s part of  the neurobiology that keeps you coming back for more.

Doug
      Participant

When will we start to taper on the use?

Is it done during the course or after the course?

Will you be suggesting supplements?

Jewelle
      Participant

‘The good news is that the latest medical research indicates that your brain and nervous system can actually heal and recover.’ Thankfully, I know this for myself because it continues to be my experience, a gluten free diet helps, my brain is much clearer but even tho I know better, I still run to sugar to stimulate myself. My guess is I am a low serotonin type. Interesting about ‘when there is an imbalance in one neurotransmitter, there is often an imbalance in the other three neurotransmitters.’
      <h2 style=”margin: 10px 0px; font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-weight: 300; line-height: 1.66; color: #669900; text-rendering: optimizelegibility; font-size: 2.5em;”></h2>

Thanks Doug.  Throughout the course, we’ll be discussing various supplements to feed the brain and boost specific neurotransmitters.  All along the way we are building towards tapering or not using as the case may be.  The 2 biggest mistakes people make is jumping into tapering too fast without enough support in place to address difficulty and then doing the taper too fast.  My goal is that when you do taper you know exactly what you need to do to be successful that’s one of the premises the course is built on.

In your case, you get a bonus one on one consulting session so if you want, we can focus on this issue for you.  Speaking of which,  I’ll be sending out an email to start scheduling those in early March. I want you to have some of the course under your belt to get the most out of the session.

Thx Jewelle, yes! it is interesting how that happens.  We’ll go through each major neurotransmitter so you’ll get to see for yourself!

Judy
      Participant

I find this so fascinating. I gave up sugar and refined flour products 4 weeks ago and it has definitely helped my urges to drink wine (although that is full of sugar). However, my anxiety, stress and insomnia are still there! I wish we knew about what to foods and supplements to eat/take earlier in our course. I know, I need to be patient.

Tammy
      Participant

I can’t wait to learn more about what supplements will help with certain brain chemicals. I eat clean, whole foods – am gluten free, dairy free, and eat paleo at the moment. I still find sugar cravings come, coffee cravings and most recently alcohol CRAVINGS. These were NOT existent for 6 years being sober. I did not want to give up the social aspect of alcohol, but i had no craving for it. Now it’s like my brain wants it to relax me and take away my fears and anxiety even though I know MANY ways to do that naturally. I am finding it extremely challenging. So I can’t wait to learn more!

Thanks, you both raise great points.  Eating well is the foundation but may not be enough at first.  Blood sugar regulation is key for recovery even more true for people with a problem with alcohol.  Often people stop drinking but they haven’t changed their relationship with sugar and so it’s also easier to relapse… One pearl I can give you is to eat a high protein meal within an hour of waking up in the morning, and then eat every 3-4 hrs, esp something w protein.  This is key for managing blood sugar and mood.  We’ll get into this more as well as what supplements if that’s not enough, but that’s something you can start right away.

Thanks, you both raise great points.  Eating well is the foundation but may not be enough at first.  Blood sugar regulation is key for recovery even more true for people with a problem with alcohol.  Often people stop drinking but they haven’t changed their relationship with sugar and so it’s also easier to relapse… One pearl I can give you is to eat a high protein meal within an hour of waking up in the morning, and then eat every 3-4 hrs, esp something w protein.  This is key for managing blood sugar and mood.  We’ll get into this more as well as what supplements if that’s not enough, but that’s something you can start right away.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.